Week 15: Infused Classroom- Virtual Background
This week I looked at Holly Clark's blog Infused Classroom and her review of virtual backgrounds.
A few weeks ago we learned about green screen backgrounds in one of our tech tools. This week I thought I would look more into how I could incorporate that into my classroom. I found a blog that Holly Clark wrote on virtual backgrounds!
What are Virtual Backgrounds?
I am a remote teacher and will be for the remainder of the year. Thinking about virtual backgrounds was not something I was concerned with when trying to figure out online learning. However, now I feel comfortable looking for a new way to engage my students. Virtual backgrounds are a way for teachers to bring an interactive experience into their remote calls. Teachers can use virtual backgrounds on both Teams and Zoom calls. While these sites offer free virtual backgrounds, Clark suggests that teachers utilizing Canva and Adobe Spark to make virtual backgrounds specific and relevant to their students. In her blog, Clark also suggests a few tips for teachers to keep in mind when using virtual backgrounds.
- Consider buying a green screen. While it is not necessary to use a green screen, it can enhance your virtual background. You can find green screens for relatively cheap on amazon or use anything green!
- Make sure you have contrast! Wear something darker or lighter than the background you choose.
- Lighting- consider setting up your teaching station next to a window or use a ring light to ensure good lighting!
- Keep your background simple. If your background is too busy it can distract students from the content you are teaching.
In her blog, Clark informs readers that virtual backgrounds can be integrated into almost any subject. She suggests using several backgrounds in one lesson to take students on a "semi-tour" or when there is a change in the theme of discussion. I could see myself using a virtual background in both my social studies and science units.
In science, we have a unit on the lifecycle of a salmon. Normally I draw out the lifecycle for a salmon on a poster and we come up with chants for each stage. However, since I am remote I could use virtual backgrounds to walk my students through the life cycle. As I get to each new stage I could change my background.
Additionally, I could have my students use virtual backgrounds as well. In social studies, my students spend a unit researching their heritage. When my students are getting ready to present their project I could allow them to create a virtual background using Canva that they can have behind them. Allowing them to do this could make their presentation more interactive for their peers and add an extra element for them to show off their heritage.
Holly suggests virtual backgrounds with favorite quotes, would you rather questions and more in her blog post! I recommend checking it out if this is something you are ready to incorporate in your online classroom!
Comments
Post a Comment