Infused Classroom: Review of Wakelet
This week I looked at Holly Clark's blog Infused Classroom and her review of the tool Wakelet.
What is Wakelet?
Wakelet is a tool that educators can use to compile a variety of different resources. Clark compared it to a Pinterest board. Users can create a "collection" and upload videos, links, PDF's, images and more! Wakelet allows for all of these resources to be found in one place as oppose to having to send students all the resources and tools separately. In addition, this website appears to be very user friendly. Once you are finished creating a collection, it can easily be shared to a your Teams page or Google Classroom. Lastly, teachers can allow students to become contributors to the collection and they can upload any resources that they found to be helpful!
Can I use Wakelet in the classroom?
When I first started looking at Wakelet I was not sure how it would fit in my classroom or if it was worth putting in the time to learn how to use. However, after reading how it works and how Clark uses it in her classroom, I have a new perspective.
As a 3rd grade teacher one thing I struggle with is finding appropriate resources for my students. Often times, a text can be well above my students reading level and it impacts their ability to find a variety of sources that work for them. This is where I think Wakelet can come in and help! Each year my students do a research project on a region in the United States. Currently, our curriculum only offers students one text to use to find information and learn about their region. For some students they are hooked, but for others it is impossible to get them invested! Anyone else relate? While it would take a good amount of prep work upfront I think I can use Wakelet to compile a variety of resources for my students that could work for them. Some students learn through reading while others get invested through video. Compiling different tools in a collection can inspire curiosity and more engagement with their research. I also think this is something I could slowly add to each year and have students add to as well!
After learning about Wakelet I can see this tool has the ability to transform classrooms and differentiating for students.
Think this tool could work for you? Check out this resources to see other ways you could use Wakelet in your classroom.

This is a new tool for me that I hadn't heard of before! I am also following Holly Clark's blog, so I think it will be interesting to see what different resources we all find within one blog.
ReplyDeleteYour idea for adding this into your class is really unique! While you said it would be a lot of work upfront, if this is a project students do yearly then it would be done for years to come which would benefit students greatly and take work off you in future years!
I am curious if this is a tool that could be used in my Kindergarten class or if it is a tool you think would work better for older grades?
- Regan Davis
Regan,
ReplyDeleteI think it is definitely possible for Kindergarteners. Especially with COVID many students are becoming more independent when it comes to using technology. This could be a great tool for you because all the resources would be in one place for your students. While, the content you put on your Wakelet may differ compared to older grades (maybe videos and pictures) it could still be a great tool :)