Week 12: New Tool- Epic

 

What is Epic

Epic is an online reading platform that brings thousands of digital books to students. Since Covid started Epic has allowed students access for free during school hours. Schools can pay an additional fee if they would like students to use this tool outside of school. Epic is a great tool because it offers digital books that students can read or have it read to them. Additionally, it has educational videos that students can watch. 



How does it work? 

Classroom teachers can set up their accounts for free. They can upload students information from an excel spread sheet or manually input their class. Teachers can then either link students too Clever (if they have an account) or send their students the class code. Once teachers have their students on Epic they have a lot of options. Teachers can let students explore the website independently or read assigned texts. Teachers can assign specific books to students or to their class. Teachers can also share and assign collections. There are pre-made collections of books or teachers can make them theirselves. It is a great way for students to have book on a topic and kept in one place. Students can explore a wide variety of genres to find one that most interests them. Once students are on Epic teachers can track how many minutes students are reading. They can also see how many books students are getting through. Both are great for accountability and conferring with students about their reading. The free Epic account is not available very long after school hours but it is a great in class option!

How I use it in my classroom?

Sine Covid started my students have had limited access to books. The first way I use Epic in my class is for silent reading. Students can sort books based on their reading level. Accessing books on Epic has allowed my students to keep reading during remote learning. Another way I use Epic in my classroom is by creating collections. Last week I started a non-fiction reading unit. I created a collection of non-fiction texts that my students could look through. I had them flip through different books and make observations about what is included in a non-fiction text. Since my students are still online, sending them collections allows them access to a library that I would normally have in class. 

Tips:
  • Send families the link to connect on Epic at the beginning of the year. I have my out at Meet the Teacher. This allows them to see what their student is reading and to track students reading minutes. 
  • Utilize the reading logs. The reading logs assess how long students are reading. You can assign a certain number of minutes to students and track if they are meeting the class expectations. 

How could it work in your classroom:

  • Students use Epic during independent reading. 
  • Assign a short book to a group of students. Then use that book for a reading small group.
  • Kick off units with a collection of books that you create. 
  • Have students make a favorites list that they can share with other students. 
  • Great for ELL students or struggling readers. Some books can read to students which can help them when they are independently working. 

Comments

  1. Karissa,
    As a fellow third grade teacher, Epic has become my best friend while we were learning online along with in the classroom now. My students are constantly on it when they are working on reading and have finished their work. I really like that they can find a book they are interested in and many can be read to them. I also used Epic for virtual guided reading groups which I assigned directly to the specific students.
    -Sara Graviss (Week 12 Response)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13: New Resource- PBISWorld.com

Week 15: New Tool- Newsela

Infused Classroom: Review of Wakelet