Week 11: New Tool- Clever

 

What is Clever

Clever is a single sign-on platform that allows students to access various apps, links and PDF's. This tool is very user friendly and keeps all the resources your student uses in school in one place. Since it helps student navigate through the different tools they use it can save educators instructional time as well as the headache of trying to support students in remember their log in. A student will never ask you, "what is my password?" ever again! 


How does it work? 

Unfortunately, Clever does need to be purchased by your school. If your building does not have it I would highly recommend that you bring it to your administrators attention. However, once your building does purchase it, it is very easy to use! Teachers will be given a log in and will be taken to the "Homeroom" page. Here they can access apps that have been uploaded and approved by their district, access apps that they have personally saved and create a class page. Teachers students are automatically synced to their clever page which is a huge time saver! On a teachers classroom page they can upload PDF's, links and apps based on what their class uses. When a teacher adds an app to the page it will sync with your class, preventing your students from needing to log in. The tools that you add to your Clever page can also be grouped together in categories, making it easy for students to navigate. Clever also offers a messaging features. Students and teachers have the ability to message back and forth, which makes asking questions very easy. Additionally, Clever has an analytic page where teacher can review when students have used Clever and what apps they have accessed when using the account. This is great for accountability. If you direct your class to go to a tool like Seesaw, Clever allows you to see if your students followed your directions! 



How I use it in my classroom?

Clever is used daily in my classroom and I could not imagine online teaching without it. At the beginning of the year I created my teacher Clever page. I was able to upload my expectations, contact information and resources that my students would use throughout the year. My students use Clever to navigate through the different tools that they use on a daily basis. Clever's greatest feature is the message tool! I found that I had no clear way for students to ask me questions, or let me know quick information. This is where Clever came in. I have taught my students that anytime they need to contact me they can shoot me a message on Clever. I have the volume up on my computer and am notified anytime a student messages me. This allows them to ask quick questions instead of trying call me on Teams while I am meeting with other groups. 

Tips:
  • Look into setting up parent accounts on Clever. This can allow parents to see their students Clever page and offer support if a student is having any issues. 
  • For applications that are not linked to your school have students log into the app all together. This will ensure that students get the correct information saved on their page. 
  • When you start using Clever walk students and families through your page. I have my grouped by subject. 

How could it work in your classroom:

  • Post links to zoom calls. 
  • Upload PDF's that students can reference. I post my classroom and school expectations to Clever. 
  • Post announcements to students that they can reply to. 
  • Message studnets. 
  • Include apps that your class frequently uses on your class page.
  • Hold students accountable for being on the correct apps.

Comments

  1. Karissa,
    Clever is a life saver in third grade land! We use Clever to have students access everything they need. The part of Clever that I enjoy is that I can create a favorites page that is tied into my student's clever log in. I can make a quick link to something they need and it will be there outside of the given district applications that we need. Thanks for sharing the tips!
    -Sara Graviss (week 11 response)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13: New Resource- PBISWorld.com

Week 15: New Tool- Newsela

Infused Classroom: Review of Wakelet