Week 10: Infused Classroom- HyperDocs
This week I looked at Holly Clark's blog Infused Classroom and her review of Chrome Extensions.
What are some benefits of HyperDocs?
This week Holly Clarks shares that HyperDocs are so much more than just a word document with links. HyperDocs are digital lessons that allow students to explore and engage with different topics. Teachers can modify pre-made template or create their own to meet their classes learning needs. Clark stated that HyperDocs, "inspire students’ inquiry and curiosity - driving them to exploration, to find answers to their questions, build the background knowledge and supports the application of their new knowledge in order to show what they know" (Clark, 2020). When utilizing this tool teachers can rethink their instruction and incorporate a variety of resources into one organized place. Teachers can link videos, PDFs, websites and images to help hook students. It is important to note that HyperDocs are not necessarily meant to be given to student and have them worked on them independently. Teachers can use it as a tool to guide students through the lesson.
Check out this helpful video explaining more about HyperDocs:
Clark also directs teachers to a HyperDoc website that can provide more information and pre-made resources.
Can I use Chrome Extensions in the classroom?
I could see myself using HyperDocs in a number of ways. The first being as a kickstart to a new unit. I would create a hyper doc that has a video of me introducing our new unit. From there I would give my students time to explore different videos, articles and images that would spark questions and engagement. While students are exploring I would want to know their thinking. I would have a KWL chart linked to the Hyperdoc. This would allow for student voice. They could write down what they know and what they wonder about our new unit.
Additionally, if you click on the link below the video above the HyperDoc website has pre-made templates. I found a handful of grammar HyperDocs. This has been an area that I have struggled fitting into my day, between our normal curriculum and small groups. I could see myself teaching mini-lesson on a grammar skill and then attaching the video to my HyperDoc. I then would have students throughout the week look at their personal reading books to see if they notice any of the grammar skills being applied. This would allow students to work at their own pace and practice a skill that I do not necessarily have time to go over each day.
Could you see yourself using a HyperDoc? After looking at the pre-made templates it made this feel like a more manegable tool that I could use in my room!

These remind me of choice boards and also nonlinear PPts because someone was posting about these earlier. I think these demonstrate an excellent use of hyperlinks and engaging students in the development of 21st cent literacies.
ReplyDelete