Week 8: Infused Classroom- Chrome Extensions
This week I looked at Holly Clark's blog Infused Classroom and her review of Chrome Extensions.
What are some beneficial Chrome Extensions?
This week I looked over 10 Chrome Extensions that Holly Clark suggested on her blog. All of these extensions can help enhance your use of technology in the classroom and are free to add on Chrome. Clark points out that these tools can be utilized by both Google and Microsoft users. I highly recommend checking out the link above. In her descriptions of the different extension she has linked TikTok videos on how to use the tools, great for visual learners like me! Below of the 10 extensions that she highlighted.
- Color Zilla: Allows teachers to click on a color they want to match and then it saves it to their clipboard.
- Bit.ly: Teachers can customize links and check to see how many people viewed their link.
- Crafty Text: Allows teachers to type in a box and when they click enter it will appear across their whole screen.
- Wakelet: A place where teachers and students can save and keep links, videos, PDF's and more. Check out my other blog post for more info on Wakelet!
- Screencastify: A quick way for teachers to record, edit and share videos.
- Google Keep: A box appears that allows students to take notes while they are surfing the web. They then can receive those notes on Google docs.
- Tab Scissors: Easily splits tabs into two small screens.
- Immerse Reader: Students can use this tool to click on text and have it read to them.
- Boomerang: Allows users to schedule emails and also sends reminders if you need to follow up with someone.
- Insert Learning: Allows teachers to insert questions and discussions directly into a website
Can I use Chrome Extensions in the classroom?
Wow! I had heard of a few of these extensions but got really excited to learn about a few new tools. While many of them are simple, they are easy things you can add to your web browser that can make teaching a little easier.
The first one that really stood out to me was Tab Scissors. A few of my students really struggle with being able to see two tabs at once. Often times I want my students to see our call as well as their own work. While I have tried to support students with splitting their screen, using Tab Scissors makes it one click away. I plan on having all my students add this extension to their laptops tomorrow!
Another extension that I am excited to try is Google Keep. We have done multiple research projects this year and my students struggle with taking notes. Many want to type their notes but that requires them to move back and forth between multiple windows. Google Keep can allow my students to stay in the same window in order to write down the important information they find. This extension allows students to access their notes in their Google doc. I will have to check to see if this will align with my students Microsoft document. But regardless I plan on utilizing this tools.
Lastly, an extension I am excited to try is Insert Learning. Continuing with online teaching I struggle to hear all my students voices and ideas. Insert Learning would allow my to include random comprehension checks into the website and stories that I send my students too. I am eager to have a simple to use tool that can allow me to informally asses my students work.
I wish I knew about these extensions earlier but am excited to give them a try! Can you see yourself using any of these extensions in your classroom?
Thank you for providing the link for your colleagues and making the reference to TikTok. I really like this because it is a popular tool, keeps it short and simple, and as you state, differentiates the instruction.
ReplyDelete