Week 7: New Tool- Embarc
What is Embarc?
If you use Eureka math or Engage NY than this website can be a huge game changer for you! Embarc is a math website designed to support users of the Eureka and Engage NY curriculum. Embarc was originally created to help support teachers with this curriculum at a local level. However, since it provides such great resources it is now being used nation-wide. The best part is that everything found on this website is free. In addition, the website aligns with the common core standards. Making is a great tool even for teachers who do not use the above curriculums.
How does it work?
On the Embarc website the information is organized based on grade level. When teachers find their grade level, they can use the pull-down tab to navigate to the home page, general information page or each module within the curriculum. If a teacher were to select a specific module than the top of the page offers resources that can benefit the teacher and students for the whole unit. It offers an outline of learning goals and pacing for the unit, downloadable resources as well as fluency games and application problems. If you continue down the page the resources are organized based on each lesson within the unit. There are videos of people modeling how to teach the lesson, exit tickets and solutions, google slides that are aligned to the lesson as well as flip charts. There are so many pre-made resources that can save teachers time and allow them to focus on supporting students.
How I use it in my classroom:
There are two major ways that I utilize Embarc in my classroom. The first is watching the videos. When I was new to 3rd grade there were a few lessons where I was unsure of how to teach it in a clear way. I watched the lessons before I taught my students to look for tips that the presenter used and to better understand how the lesson could go. In addition, I have used these videos before a lesson to give my students a pre-view of more difficult skills before we begin instruction as a class.
The other way I have used Embarc in my classroom is for the google slides. The slides perfectly align with the lesson and incorporate all the components. I have utilized the slides as a remote teacher because I have been able to show the slides during my math instruction and then post them on my website for students to access later if they need to refer back to something they learned. Before I found Embarc I was making all the slides myself which took a lot of time. While I still make modifications to slides, they give me a great starting point!
Tips:
- If a parent ever asks how they can continue helping their students at home I typically send them to Embarc. It is user friendly and families can find resources for how they can teach their students a specific skill they are struggling with.
- Since I do not have access to the grade below mine’s curriculum (second grade) at the start of each year I review the learning goals on Embarc. This helps me understand what knowledge my students should be coming into 3rd grade with.
How could it work in your classroom:
- Print out the application problem handouts. Students can scan the QR code to find the application problem question. This could be a great resource for teachers who do not use this math curriculum. It could be an extension that students utilize to support with solving word problems.
- Send links to the videos and access to the homework sheets for any students who plans to be absent.
- Utilize the games as math extensions if students are given choice or independent time to work.
- Use the quizzes as either formative assessments or as outlines to review skills with students.


Wow! This looks amazing! I won't be able to use it with my high school language kids but I would love to see our elementary school teachers use this in their classrooms. I am constantly in awe of the tools out there!
ReplyDelete~Barbara
This looks like such a good tool! It wouldn't be something that I use in my classroom currently, but good to keep in mind if I ever have to teach math (my subjects change year to year). I like that you use it with parents that need help with helping their child- I see this a lot as I tutor and something like this would be super helpful.
ReplyDelete-Sylvia Barrett
Week 7
Karissa,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. I have not heard of this technology. It looks like your colleagues are appreciative and see an application in their classrooms.