Week 4: New Tool- Seesaw
What is Seesaw?
Seesaw is a platform that helps support student engagement, collaboration and family connections. This resource was designed for teachers to share activities, links, videos and more with students. With Seesaw teachers can communicate with students and families through announcements and individual posts. The basic version of this platform is free for educators and students. This is a tool that can transform your classroom whether you are remote or in-person. If you try it out and like it, Seesaw is definitely worth paying the extra money to upgrade.
How does it work?
The first step when using Seesaw is to create your class page. Teachers can upload their students names and create their individual account. From there teachers have a few options, they can create their own activities from scratch or use templates of activities that have been already made by other educators. Within the activity teachers can write text, post videos, send links and upload PDF's. There is also a section for directions that teachers can either type or voice record so students know what is expected of them. When teachers assign activities they can share them to one or all students, allowing for differentiation. When students submit activities teachers have the ability to like or comment on the students work and send back their work for correction. In addition to activities, teachers have the ability to share videos, links, PDF's and more by posting student work. This allows teachers to quickly get materials and resources to students. Lastly, students are given a journal on Seesaw which is an accumulation of all the work they have done. The journal is great because when parents register under their students account it allows them to engage and see all of their students work.
How I use it in my classroom:
Seesaw is integrated into every aspect of my online classroom. I teach live lessons with my students and the send them off to Seesaw for their independent work. After each live lesson I assign some sort of activity. I use the activity to share anchor charts and examples with my students before they begin their work. I also use Seesaw to provide feedback. The comment and voice record feature gives me two different ways I can engage with students, and provides immediate feedback on their work. In addition, I use Seesaw for my weekly newsletters and to direct message parents when I have a question or concern. I also use Seesaw to meet studnets social and emotional needs. I have made a virtual "correspondence journal" and allow students on their brain breaks to send me messages or videos. Being remote many of my students have sent me videos sharing things in their rooms or just saying hi!
Tips:
- Have QR available for families at a back to school night. The sooner you can connect families to your Seesaw account the easier it is to use Seesaw as a communication tool and to share students work.
- Take advantage of the community library of shared activities. Doing so allows you to modify activities that have already been made by teachers.
- Look for intro to Seesaw activities. That is a great place to start to help introduce your students to Seesaw.
How could it work in your classroom:
- Sharing read aloud with students when you absent.
- Create a class blog on Seesaw and allow students to post videos and messages to their classmates (keep in mind this comes with having a premium account).
- Direct messaging families in an informal way.
- Quickly getting information and resources to students.
- Communicate weekly newsletters and updates with families.
- Provide feedback to students by commenting or liking their work.


Comments
Post a Comment