Week 4: Infused Classroom- Jamboard

 This week I looked at Holly Clark's blog Infused Classroom and her review of the tool Jamboard. 

What is Jamboard?

Jamboard can transform your in-person or online classroom because it focuses on collaboration. Jamboard is a whiteboard platform through google. In Holly Clark's blog she states, "Jamboard is a great app suited for the power of flexibility in the sticky notes and the ability to move objects more easily." Her blog also talks about how educators can use Jamboard to provide feedback to students and have students share thoughts with one another. Jamboard allows for multiple users to be on the white board at the same time, allowing students to interact with their peers thoughts and ideas. This tool can allow teachers to quickly assesses and monitor all of their students work while they are working live. One important tip that Holly notes is that Jamboard only allows 20 slides in one session. So as an educators keep that in mind when when working with Jamboard.




Can I use Jamboard in the classroom? 

My school currently uses Microsoft platforms for our remote instruction. However, after seeing how user friendly Jamboard is I am trying to figure out how I can utilize this tool in my classroom. One issues that I currently have is that my students take poor quality photos of their work. Additionally, during a lesson it is hard to see the work they are producing as I am teaching it. This is where I can see Jamboard coming into play. 

One way I can see myself utilizing Jamboard is by uploading my math exit tickets to it. I can have each of my students take a slide and model their work. When students finish they can leave comments or feedback on their peers work. Seeing my students solve the problems live will help me informally assess their understanding and look for any misconceptions that begin to appear. 




Additionally, I love that I can upload templates to Jamboard. One example that Holly shared in her tutorial video is of a story mountain. She uploaded a template that helped guide students with their brainstorming  Students can then take the sticky notes outlining the assignment and input their own work. This lesson stuck out to me because I am currently teaching story mountains in my classroom right now. Utilizing Jamboard could help my students keep their work organized and clear.  

If Jamboard interest you I really recommend checking out Holly Clark's blog. She include links to different templates that teachers can use as well as ideas how you can integrate Jamboard into every subject!

Comments

  1. Hey Karissa!
    I love Jamboard! I think your idea of using this as a math exit ticket is excellent. As far as I know (and for how I've used it), Jamboard is compatible with pretty much any meeting platform (Google meets, Zoom, Microsoft, etc.). I think that Jamboard allows students to collaborate while they are learning virtually, and it is also a fun way to teach students how to annotate texts. I like how you can change the background on Jamboard for the content that you want to teach (it could be the answer to one question, it could be a text to read and annotate, it could be a graphic as shown in your example). Finally, I like how Jamboard does not require students to login to an account before using it. I think that this eliminates a step that could be an extra hassle and confusion for younger students as they are trying to use this website. I like to use Jamboard's for KWL charts, warm ups, and exit tickets!
    - Alexa Oberembt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karissa,
    I just briefly learned about Jamboard from a colleague this past week. My 3rd grade team member who teaches technology to all the 3rd grade classrooms introduced Jamboard to the students these last couple week and the students seem to love it! I would love to start utilizing it more in the classroom and I really like your idea of using it for a math exit ticket. I think another great way to use it would be for a short research project that I have my students complete every few weeks to go along with their reading. They could collaborate to create a Jamboard and then present to the rest of the class. Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 13: New Resource- PBISWorld.com

Week 15: New Tool- Newsela

Infused Classroom: Review of Wakelet